SENIOR DIRECTOR OF MARKETING
Jewish Community Federation, San Francisco, CA · 2008-2010
Local chapter of 157 Federations nationwide, among the top 10 charities in the US. Operating budget of $20M.
Joined newly-hired CEO / Executive Director as part of a senior management team tasked with creating a new strategic vision for this 120-person, 100-year-old institution, to transform it into a modern center for philanthropy.
- Financial Analysis and Business Operations: Increased revenues more than $2,000,000 (more than 50% over the prior year) for the $1.8 billion Endowment Fund, led successful effort to develop new policies and services towards a more sustainable business model.
- Customer Relations / Client Management: Worked with Board members, finance staff and major donors in analyzing and developing financial models and revenue projections.
- Fundraising and Development: Wrote powerful direct mail solicitations that increased community donations 400%, in spite of the worst economy in 70 years. Partnered with Fund Development staff to help raise $25 million from community outreach.
- Social Media: Supervised six direct reports leading development of a new, innovative open-source website including interactive online social networks, community calendars, and personalized giving.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER / EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Bay Area, San Francisco, CA · 2005-2008
Branch of 400+ independent non-profit agencies providing mentoring to children.
Annual budget $2.5M.
- Mergers: Merged three separate BBBS branches, without common accounting systems, cash reserves, a donor database, or methods of contact management, building it into a sustainable regional agency.
- Board of Directors: Built and developed new Board, created and implemented strategic growth plan.
- Organizational Development: Increased number of children served from 375 to 1,300, reduced cost per child from $3,500 to $1,700 per year by optimizing business procedures and workflow, managed daily operations of 25 employees.
- Fundraising: Used sales expertise to increase revenues by more than 50% via grant writing, corporate sponsorships, foundation and individual donations, major gift solicitations, direct marketing and public speaking.
- Advocacy: Developed additional resources for fundraising, volunteer recruitment and community engagement. Found sources of untapped funds by reorganizing a statewide association of 20 BBBS branches in California.
- Business Development / Partner Relations: Developed relationships to expand programs in over eight school systems and secured funds from more than 40 corporations and foundations including Kaiser Permanente, Google, Lucille Packard, Lesher, Hearst, Cisco, Chevron, Intel, Wells Fargo and others.
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT / MANAGING DIRECTOR OF EUROPEAN OPERATIONS
Xingtone, Inc., Los Angeles, CA · 2004-2005
Global storefront and IT application for creating customized ringtones.
Annual revenue $2M.
International Sales / Marketing: Served as key member of the senior management team, participated in securing second-round VC funding. Negotiated product distribution agreements in North America and Europe.
CHIEF SALES OFFICER / CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER
321 Studios, Inc., St. Louis, MO · 2002-2004
Consumer software developer and publisher.
Annual revenue $50M.
Strategic Planning / Sales / Channel Development / Marketing: Two founders read my book on Channel Sales and hired me to design and execute an effective strategic plan, resulting in phenomenal growth for this startup, growing from concept to over $50M in less than 3 years. Managed 10-person internal marketing department, international PR, an 8-person inside sales department, 12 outside sales representatives in North America and Europe.
PRESIDENT AND CEO
Re:Launch, Inc., Berkeley, CA · 1990-2002
Sales, marketing and business development consulting service for high tech companies.
Annual revenue $3M.
Provided effective fundraising, strategic planning, business development, marketing and sales consulting services helping more than 100 global clients introduce new products and reach sales targets, including IBM, Memorex, Hitachi, Computer Associates, Intuit and others. Created strategic plans, and worked hands-on as salesman, sales manager, creative director, copywriter and art director; designing retail packages, collateral material, websites, advertisements, opening international retail distribution. Designed and launched inkjet product line for Hitachi resulting in $14M first year, exceeding quota by 100%. Assisted companies in raising capital, helping two go public.
VICE PRESIDENT, WORLDWIDE SALES AND MARKETING
Polaroid, Inc. Cambridge, MA · 1987-1990
Led global sales and marketing for Polaroid’s Magnetics Division, taking floppy disc subsidiary from loss to profit, opening new channels of distribution in the face of intense foreign competition, responsible for customer relations.
VICE PRESIDENT, SALES AND STRATEGIC PLANNING
Ingersoll-Rand / Schlage Electronics, Woodcliff Lake, NJ · 1984-1987
Led sales and strategic planning for security division, successfully integrating Adaptive Controls into product line. Worked with mergers and acquisitions team to successfully acquire additional technologies.
PRESIDENT AND FOUNDER
Adaptive Controls, Inc., Emeryville, CA · 1980 – 1984
Co-founded innovative producer of automated energy management controls for high-rise office buildings, taking it from concept to over $2MM in annual revenues, negotiated sale to Ingersoll-Rand.